Saturday, June 04, 2005

Farewell WCBS-FM 101.1

WCBS-FM 101.1 has been New York's Oldies station for as far back as I can remember. That's a long way back, since my father used to listen to it when I was a kid, and I'm approaching my 42nd birthday.

Apparently, as of midnight, WCBS-FM 101.1 is no longer. At least not on the radio. In its place is a new station, JACK-FM, which as its slogan states, plays whatever it wants to. It has no format (i.e., pop, dance, oldies, etc.). Although I'm going to really miss my favorite oldies station, so far I've really been enjoying the variety of music being played on JACK-FM. One minute, I'm listening to Bananarama's "Venus". The next, it's Aerosmith's "Sweet Emotion". I've heard stuff on JACK-FM that I haven't heard in years.

As for WCBS-FM, it is now CBS FM 101.1, a streaming radio station, available 24/7. So, while WCBS-FM 101.1 may be gone from my radio "dial", it's not gone forever.

No comments: