Wednesday, June 08, 2005

To Listen, or Not to Listen? That is the Question.

I've learned a bit more about the recent changes to my favorite Oldies station, WCBS-FM 101.1. Not only has the station been replaced by the new JACK-FM, but two of my longtime favorite DJs, Harry Harrison and Cousin Brucie, were given the axe.

The new, streaming CBS-FM, while it will continue to play Oldies, will be missing two legendary radio personalities that I have literally grown up with. I started listening to them on my first purple Panasonic AM transistor radio back in the MusicRadio 77 (WABC) and 66 WNBC days. I've been listening to WCBS-FM 101.1 for pretty much all of its 33 years on the air, since I was around 9 years old.

My loyalties are torn. Do I continue to listen to JACK on my FM dial where WCBS-FM 101.1 used to be, and CBS-FM online, where the Oldies are now, even after they've axed Harrison and Morrow? Or, do I refuse to listen to either and support the corporate powers-that-be that decided my demographic was no longer important?

Tough choice.

Some related links to this...

Newsday - "Rock shock: Nation's No. 1 oldies station changes formats"

"Oldies WCBS-FM Becomes JACK" discussion board

Radio Business Report - "Listeners weren't the only ones left in the lurch when WCBS-FM New York suddenly switched to "Jack"

Fast Company "You don't know Jack"

No comments: