Saturday, July 29, 2006

Well This is Interesting

A short while ago, my doorbell rang. Since I wasn't expecting anyone, I figured it was either my landlord or someone ringing my bell instead of my upstairs neighbor's bell. Nope, it was a young woman who said she was with U.S. Energy Savings Corp, and they were making sure that everyone in the neighborhood was registered to have their energy prices protected. It would only take five minutes, and all she'd need to see was a copy of my utility bill.

For some reason, warning bells sounded in my head, and I told her that I really couldn't do it right now, and asked her if she had any literature that I could read. She said yes, but that she'd need to verify my registration in person, would be in the area for a few hours, and could come back later if I'd like. I told her I really couldn't do it today, and finally closed the door on her.

Good thing I did, too! I did a search on Google, and this is what I found:

CUB Issues Consumer Alert For Chicago Area Natural Gas Users, Don't Be Fooled By Misleading U.S. Energy Sales Tactics
"several customers who called CUB said the company came to their door with a “petition” to freeze natural gas rates. A few weeks later, they received welcome letters stating their natural gas service had been switched to U. S. Energy. "

Nice, huh?

No comments: