Wednesday, December 21, 2005

I Knew This Would Come Back to Haunt Me

My transit strike entry from last week has come back to haunt me.

A few months ago, I went and bought myself a ticket for tomorrow night's performance of Die Fledermaus at the Met. An expensive ticket, as in a side parterre box seat, as opposed to my usual nosebleed city, balcony box partial-view cheap seat. I had been planning to do it up with all the works, including taking car service to Lincoln Center and back instead of the bus and subway.

Good thing I called my local car service company today. While they will have no problem picking me up after the opera to take me from Manhattan back home to Queens, they will not drive me into Manhattan earlier in the evening. Not even after 5:00pm, when most of the traffic will be going out of Manhattan. They can drive me to one of the Long Island Railroad stations in Queens, where I can get a train to Penn Station, and then walk thirty-odd blocks, but they won't drive me to Lincoln Center. They can take my fifty bucks late at night, when traffic is light and the ride will take maybe all of a half hour, but not when they might have to sit in a bit of traffic. They can bite my ass.

I'll take a taxi home, and buy myself dinner with the money I saved by not using car service.

No comments: